A coat of the best interior paint will do astonishing changes in any room. Thus, selecting the right interior paint is a significant decision. Not only will it improve the aesthetic value of the room and the entire property, it will also provide protection for the surface it is applied on. The goal is to choose the most suitable paint based on the characteristics of the surface and the room where it will be applied.
Note that interior paint has a huge contribution in the overall effect and result of interior design-- it must be able to provide a pleasant ambiance. Interior paint has a longer lifespan than exterior paint but this does not mean that choosing the right one is easier.
How to Choose a Good Interior Paint
In order to select the suitable paint for your interior, the first step is to size up the room that will be painted. Its
The architectural details of the room such as its trim, mouldings, columns, and brackets, should also be taken into account. These features should be accentuated by the paint and not conceal them. The right intensity and hue of the paint should complement the architecture and furnishings
Lastly, you have to think about function. The interior paint will dictate the atmosphere of the room, which means that the right color should be chosen. For example, bright colors are best used in the living room to create a lively and inviting yet comfortable atmosphere.
After you have considered the characteristics of the room, the next step is to choose the color palette. In choosing, you have to be confident; do not be afraid to try bold colors. A vibrant interior paint can liven up and complete an unfurnished room. When choosing a color, it is important to consider who the room is for. It should be able to reflect the personality that you want the room to portray. For example, in your room, the ideal color to paint is the one that represents your mood. You can get insights from the colors you see in your wardrobe.
In case that interior décor came first before having the room painted, you have to work with what is already present. Consider the objects, furnishings, and other pieces in the room as you choose the paint color that will complement these.
What is the Right Paint Finish?
Choosing the right paint finish will have a distinct effect on the result of the paint job. Think about the traffic that the room receives since this will be indicative of the type of finish that it needs. There are three finishes for interior paint: flat, low luster, and semi-gloss. Flat paint is perfect for low-traffic surfaces such as ceilings. Cleaning it takes more effort than other finishes.
The next type, which is the low-luster finish, is ideally used on surfaces where you want to add sheen. This is suitable for high-traffic areas such as in the bathroom, playroom, living room, and bedroom. It is easier to clean as compared to flat paint.
The last type is the semi-gloss or gloss finish. Remember that the more glossy the finish is, the harder it will be to conceal surface imperfections. For the kitchen and bathroom, it is best to stick with semi-gloss finishes while for accessories and furnishing such as doorknobs and shelves, a glossy finish will do.
Interior Paint Formulation
Aside from the characteristics of the surface to be painted,
Treat interior paint as an investment. Do not opt for poor quality paint since they are prone to greater wearing. On the other hand,
In order to see how an interior paint formula looks in a room without purchasing the full size first, you can get sample sizes, which you can paint on a small part of the surface to be painted or on a piece of cardboard. Through this, you can observe how the paint turns out during the different parts of the day, under different lighting conditions.
Top 5 Best Interior Paint
The Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents 255330 is a decorative paint intended for creating small metallic details. This paint is great for both indoor and outdoor use but is only designed for covering small sizes instead of entire walls.
It can be used to sample metallic colors in case you are interested in covering entire furniture or creating designs using stencils. This water-based paint contains actual mica beads to produce its shimmer when applied.
- Comes ins a small size perfect for sampling and stenciling
- Adds a touch of elegance to cheap looking stuff
- Goes on smoothly
- Ideal for updating old fixtures
- Perfect for delicate painting
- Does not leave brush marks
- Sheen is enough without looking too showy
- Long lasting, even for touch ups
- Provides good coverage for blemishes
- Hardly available in local hardware shops
The Amitha Verma Chalk Finish Paint is a versatile interior paint for DIYers. It is indispensable in transforming decors such as outdated and worn out furniture pieces. It can be used to achieve an antique or vintage-like appearance less the high costs. Surface preparation is not required prior to the application of this paint. The only requirement is to clean the surface before heading on to the first coat.
This paint provides full coverage at only a single coat. You can expect a smooth finish with its thick and flawless application that does not leave brush marks. Unlike other paint products that require 2 or more coats to provide the desired coverage, this one reduces the hassle of repeating applications.
- Full coverage
- Smooth application
- Single coat needed
- No surface prepping required (sanding, applying primer, etc)
- Fast drying in just 20 minutes
- Can be used on different surfaces: wood, concrete, glass, plastic, metal, and many others
- Perfect for transforming furniture
- Can be used even by beginners
- Thicker than other chalk paints
- Not true to color
The Renaissance Chalk Paint is designed for use on furniture and storage spaces such as cabinets. It features superior coverage
This is highly safe for use on the interior design because it is non-toxic and has zero VOC content. The resulting finish is smooth and chalk-like. It provides the shabby and vintage look as well as
- Non-toxic, Zero VOCs
- Quick drying in just 20 minutes
- Thick consistency
- Self-leveling feature
- Passes the Fingernail Scratch Test for durability
- Silky and chalk-like finish
- Does not require priming, sanding, and other surface prepping
- Odorless and hypoallergenic
- Color cards will be provided if request is made
- Can freeze due to inclement weather, which is common for water-based paint (rarely happens but can occur in the shipping process)
- Some shades are not true to color
- Getting a uniform finish takes a lot of practice
The Prestige Interior Paint is a paint and primer combined in a single product. This is ideal for use
This is an acrylic latex paint, which makes it easy to clean using only soap and water. When already set on the surface, cleaning is hassle-free. Durability can also be expected from the resulting product. When it comes to safety, this paint has low VOC content at only 5 grams per liter.
This paint will go on smoothly as long as the surface has been properly prepared
- Applicable on high-traffic areas
- Ideal for areas with high-humidity
- Durable, does not wear easily
- Fast drying time of an hour
- Easy to clean (wiping or light scrubbing); washable
- Brightens up a room with its reflective appearance but not too glossy that it shows the blemishes of the surface
- Requires proper surface prepping, otherwise, desired results will not happen
- Certain types of surfaces need to be primed such as new woods
- Requires application through high-quality applicators
The Rust-Oleum 778502 is manufactured in the USA, which accounts for its quality and safety. It produces an elegant finish with its satin black tone. This paint is specially designed to protect and renew surfaces subjected to high heat reaching up to 1000 Degrees Fahrenheit.
This paint also protects surfaces from rusting and corrosion. It features a fast-drying formula. It can be used both indoors and outdoors for grills, engines, wood-burning stoves, and metal products.
- Requires a single coat only
- Does not produce fumes even when used on surfaces that are exposed to fire or heat
- No peeling, bubbling, discoloration, or cracking even after years
- Holds up well even when cleaned regularly
- Dries faster than expected
- Pleasant appearance and texture
- Only one shot at painting a surface because second coats are not recommended
- Using the incorrect applicator will form bubbles on the painted surface
- Thinner than most paints for general home use
- Leaves brush marks
- Not intended as a fireplace paint; cannot be exposed to direct flame
The ultimate goal is to find an interior paint that is safe, durable, suitable for the features of the room and
When compared with the other
Looking at the entire features of this product, you can say that it is a good interior paint to consider.
Related post: Best Exterior Paint
Incoming search terms:
- best paint stripper
- hvlp paint sprayer
- power roller
- hvlp sprayer
- power paint roller reviews
- graco x5 review
- graco prox7 review
- best paint remover
- strongest paint stripper
- black and decker paint sprayer review