The best power roller will make painting exterior and interior surfaces efficient, as it contains a system that continuously supplies paint into the roller, which translates into lesser trips to the paint bucket. Choosing the right power roller is important to ensure quick accomplishment of painting jobs, especially those that cover a large area.
- 1 How to Choose a Power Roller
- 2 Benefits of a Power Roller System
- 3 Top 5 Power Rollers
- 4 Conclusion
How to Choose a Power Roller
Different surfaces require varied painting techniques and tool specifications, which makes choosing the right power paint roller even more challenging. You have to consider the right size of the roller based on the size and type of the area to be painted, quality of roller cover, and length of the nap, to name a few. These will all affect how the paint is applied on the surface and if it will result to even spreading with no mess involved.
The first step in choosing the right power roller is deciding on the most important part of the system—the paint roller. Familiarizing the size and dimensions of the surface to be painted is essential to determine the right size of the roller. The larger the surface, the wider the paint roller in the system should be. This will allow for better coverage in just one swipe of the roller and thus, saving you time and energy. Paint rollers come in 90 millimeters to 450 millimeters in width. Aside from the width, the size of the roller also matters. If a power roller system includes more than one size of roller in the package, you will be able to paint more areas plus the edges.
Here are a few things to note on the size of the roller:
- 3-inch rollers are perfect for tape-free paint edging
- 9-inch rollers are ideal for general painting on both smooth and rough surfaces
- 14 and 18-inch rollers are best for use on high ceilings and big walls
The next aspect you have to consider is the nap length of the roller. The nap length will determine how the paint is spread. The length can range from 1/16 inch to 1.5 inches. Smooth surfaces demand for shorter nap lengths whereas rougher surfaces necessitate longer ones.
The last characteristic of the paint roller that must be considered is the cover. The suitable cover depends on the type of paint to be used and the surface where the paint will be applied. Polyester and nylon fibers are best used for latex paint while mohair, lamb’s wool, and other natural hair fibers are best for oil-based paint. For porous surfaces, you need to use a sponge roller to achieve a glossy and smooth finish. Choosing the right cover is critical since it will affect the even spreading of the paint on the surface. High quality covers will absorb the paint and transfer it to the surface without its fibers shedding while you work.
Now that you have learned what characteristics to consider with the paint roller, the next step is to look at other aspects of the system. Take into account the ease of use of the tool. It should be user-friendly and not require complicated actions to connect the paint bucket and start the flow of the paint into the roller.
The variable speed control is another important factor. You should be able to adjust the flow of the paint into the roller to prevent too much or too little of it from flowing into the roller. Too much paint will cause it to drip as you apply it on the surface causing mess. On the other hand, too little paint will dry the paint on the roller, affecting the finish of the paint applied on the surface.
All of these characteristics must be reflected on before purchasing a power roller.
Benefits of a Power Roller System
A power roller system has many advantages, which are as follows:
- Less Mess and Better Organization When Painting- Since the power roller system automatically delivers the pain from the bucket to the paint, the need for a rolling pan in eliminated. Trips to and fro the bucket and rolling pan are not required anymore, which reduces the mess produced. With the automated system of the power roller, painting becomes more organized
- Even Spreading and Finish with Variable Speed Options- The multi-speed options of the power roller allows you to adjust the appropriate speed based on your rate of paint application. This helps you attain even paint spreading and smooth finish
- Efficient Painting- Through the automatic paint delivery, painting becomes more efficient and time consumed is cut by half
- All Tools Needed in One Package- Power roller systems include a variety of tools that enable you to accomplish painting surfaces that are out of reach or are huge in size
- Suitability to Different Surfaces- The paint rollers and extensions in the system allow for painting on different types of surfaces and textures
Top 5 Power Rollers
Every power roller is different. To help you in your painting tasks, the list of the top power rollers have been collected for you
The Wagner 0530002 is included in the line of SMART Power Roll Systems from its manufacturer. It is designed for accomplishing a variety of painting projects. This power roller directly feeds the paint into the roller making the task easier and more efficient. It comes with variable speed control from 1 to 9 enabling you to adjust the rate of flow of the paint from the bucket to the roller.
The unit comes with 2 pieces of 9-inch rollers for painting on smooth and rough surface. 1 piece of a 3-inch roller is for tape-free edging, making it easier to paint on edges without smudging paint on the other side of the wall
It comes with an 18-inch extension pole to reach higher areas and cover wider surfaces
Video below may show you everything you need to know about Wagner Smart Power Roller System
- Variable speed control
- Direct paint delivery reducing painting time in half
- Moving the system while you paint is reduced since the tubes are very long
- Includes different roller sizes
- Can be used for smooth and rough surfaces alike
- Comes with an extension to reach higher and farther surfaces
- Easy setup
- Easy cleaning with only soap and water
- Does not come with a 5-gallon adapter
- Pole gets a bit heavy to handle after a while of using
The Wagner Power Roller Plus is a cordless machine with variable speed output. You can adjust the delivery rate of the paint from the paint canister of the unit to the paint roller depending on the size of the surface you are painting and the speed at which you are applying the paint.
Since it is cordless, there would be no problems of tangling or tripping onto the cables as you paint. It comes with an 8-foot hose, which reduces the need to move the unit everytime you move further into the surface you are painting. The unit also features a quick-start with its easy setup. Cleaning is also made easy with the roller washer that comes with the unit
The unit is quite easy to bring since it can be carried on your shoulders and ready for use.
- Easy setup, quick start
- Variable speed output
- Ideal for big applications
- Limited pieces in the package- single size paint roller, no extension pole
- Suitable for a single paint color only
- Heavy handle
- Takes a bit more effort and time cleaning the unit, making it unsuitable if paint colors are often changed
- Short hose, will increase the frequency of moving the machine as you paint
The Wagner 0530010 is a recent innovation of its manufacturer’s power rollers. The design of the unit includes the direct-feed from the paint gallon to the roller for continuous painting. It makes way for drip-free painting as well. The unit can accommodate 1 to 5 gallon paint containers with its click-attach arm adapter.
The easy setup allows for a quick start in using the machine. Its auto-feed control provides the paint flow fast enough while providing even coverage.
This power roller is suitable for huge painting projects in multiple rooms. High places such as ceilings can be reached through the extension connection handle included in the product package. Cleaning the unit can be done within 10 minutes.
- Eliminates the need for a rolling tray
- Direct-feed deliver guarantees constant paint supply
- Provides even coverage
- Drip-free design for less mess
- Can accommodate 1 to 5 gallons
- Includes an extension handle for reaching high areas
- Package includes roller cover
- Roller cover is only ideal for smooth surfaces
- Leakage issues
- Cleaning can be daunting
- If not cleaned thoroughly, will not work properly
- More suitable for big applications than small ones
- Does not come with other roller sizes
The Black & Decker C800659 pumps the paint from the can right onto the paint roller thereby eliminating the need to use a tray. This cuts down the mess when painting and eliminates the tasks of filling up the tray back and forth to the paint can, making the painting task more efficient.
It comes with a long 20-foot hose to accommodate longer distances and bigger areas when working. This allows you to keep the machine in the same distance while you move as you paint.
The unit features the paint saver where in unused paint is pumped back into the paint can. It also comes with spatter shields to further lessen the mess when painting.
- Timesaver- takes about ¼ the time it takes to do the job manually
- Direct pumping from can to roller that allows for efficiency
- Saves paint by pumping unused paint back into the can
- Comes with an extension handle to reach ceilings and other high areas
- Has a spatter shield to prevent mess on walls and floors.
- Comes with a roller keeper for easy storage of wet roller.
- Suitable for painting big and wide surfaces.
- Long hose.
- Solid built
- One speed- rate is 1 gallon per 9.5 minutes, cannot be adjusted
- Cleaning is tedious and messy
- Not suitable for small painting applications
The Wagner Power Roller is a complete painting kit for large applications as well as trim and corner painting. The product package includes trim and corner pads to ensure accurate and mess free painting on these smaller areas.
The unit is made of a mixture of materials- 75% plastic, 10% Polyester Fiber, 10% Metal, and 5% other fiber types. It features variable speed output that can reach a rate of 53 square feet every minute. This power roller also comes with an 18-inch extension handle to reach higher surfaces such as ceilings. It is electrically powered to guarantee peak performance.
- Long extension handle
- Comes with paint roller, corner pads, and trimming pads
- Variable flow rate
- Easy clean up with its clean connection
- Reverse feature to save unused paint
- Electrically Powered
- Edger and corner pads are not as reliable as expected
- Not suitable for small painting jobs
Your definitive goal is to find the power roller that will suit the applications you have at hand. Consider all the factors—the size of the room and surface you are going to paint, how many paint colors you will use, and how high will you have to reach—in addition to the quality of the power roller. Generally, power rollers are ideal for large applications, so it might be a good option if you want to save hours of painting
The bottom line is that the Wagner 0530002 SMART Power Roller has been found to be the best power roller in the bunch. Its variable speed is important to suit any user’s rate of painting to prevent drips and achieve the right finish. Its different roller sizes suit different sizes of surfaces and is also suitable for both rough and smooth textures unlike the other power rollers mentioned here. This might be a good choice for those who want to make the most out of their power roller and to those who want to cut their painting time in half
Related post: Best ladder for painting
Incoming search terms:
- paint roller reviews
- paint roller system