Are you having repairs in your home? Do you need a ladder that has the right enough height that can make you reach the tights spots that you can’t always reach in your home? It’s just about the time that you get it fixed and have a good ladder that can eventually reach the places that you eventually need to work on.
There are various solutions that you can come up to get the perfect ladder in the perfect height, one is to buy them from actual stores and another is to customize the ladder yourself. Whichever option you choose would depend on what you feel is more comfortable.
Reasons For Customizing Ladders To Fit Your Height
Image source: littlegiantladders.com
When working with a ladder that isn’t up to the height that you need, you may find it more stressful and hard to have your work done. Not only can this but you also get into accidents from the ladder when trying to reach those places that you can’t reach because of a shorter ladder.
This can also happen with longer ladders as you can’t use them in smaller spaces and it makes it difficult for you to finish your work. You are then forced to stock up chairs and such just to function as a ladder and that is also dangerous.
When you are between the heights of 5’3” to 5’8” or also over 6 feet, it will be important to consider what ladder can fit you most in working. You should think about using a height chart to help you decide which ladder to get or what measurement to cut off or add to the ladder.
When you want to get the right ladder height you should try to have your head touching the ceiling, by doing this you will not need to bend down or curl up your body just to fit in with the ladder. Your body needs to stretch out comfortably while suing the ladder.
The thing about normal ladders is that they usually cater to people who are less than 6 feet tall. Meaning that if you are quite tall then it might be hard for you to work with the ladders since they make you hit your head on the ceiling or you end up crouching down just to be able to use the ladder well and this is unhealthy.
Image source: www.amazon.com
Most ladder rungs are spaced about 12’ apart and that doesn’t work on most heights, especially for the women. In order to determine the right ladder height for you, you need to prepare some measurements. Ne is to get your height with your shoes on and the regular height of the rooms in your home. For example, when you have an 8 foot room, and you are around 5’5” then you will need by calculation a 31 inch addition to the ladder with your height to reach the top of the 8 foot room without having to bend down your head.
You can always leave on an extra rung to make sure that it isn’t too short or too long, the estimates would depend on how flexible you want your ladder to be. It’s important not to stand on top of the ladder but three or four steps from the top to avoid accidents. In this height, your heads need to touch the ceiling or small ways away from the ceiling.
What You Need to Prepare
Image source: www.tenstickers.co.uk
Now that you have finished your measurements it’s time to start with your ladder customization. In following these simple steps you can now begin working on your ladder work.
- Use a height chart to help you. Below is a sample ergonomic ladder chart that you can use:
- If your height is: 5′ 3″ go with the 3rd Rung: 32″: 4 Steps Ladder: 42 5/8″
- If your height is: 5′ 4″ go with the 3rd Rung: 31″: 4 Steps Ladder: 41 3/8′
- If your height is: 5′ 5″ go with the 3rd Rung: 30″: 4 Steps Ladder: 40″
- If your height is: 5′ 6″ go with the 3rd Rung 29″: 4 Steps Ladder: 38 5/8″
- If your height is: 5′ 7″ go with the 3rd Rung 28″: 4 Steps Ladder: 37 3/8″
- If your height is: 5′ 8″ go with the 3rd Rung: 27″: 4 Steps Ladder: 36″
- If your height is: 5′ 9″ go with the 3rd Rung 26″: 4 Steps Ladder: 34 5/8″
- If your height is: 5′ 10″ go with the 3rd Rung: 25″: 4 Steps Ladder: 33 3/8″
- If your height is: 5′ 11″go with the 3rd Rung 24″ bear in mind that the standard height of most ladders would include a rung at 24″
- Then carefully mark the new location of the rungs on the ladder. Make use of the chart and calculate the height that you want and divide it by four.
- After which, you can remove the rungs. When you are using an old ladder you will find that it has a rod which supports the rungs. You can simply unscrew what is connecting the rod and then pull out the notched spacer that is in there. If you have them, you can use vise-grips to stop the rods from spinning so that you can loosen them easier.
- Then start knocking away the legs and pull out the nails and the rungs. You may notice that the ladder rungs come in various sizes are there to accommodate the narrow spaces of the ladder as it goes upwards and downwards of the platforms.
- Carefully fit the new rungs in the locations available and make use of the rung as the template to be able to mark the leg that is along the top and the bottom.
- Make put the cuts for the rung to fit in. having a hole for the rung is more durable than a screw or nails since when you step on the ladder your foot rotates the rungs. Also, add new holes for the rods using the drill and put them back in with the spacers. Make sure everything is tight.
How To Customize Your Ladder? Simple, Measure And Craft!
When done with the last step, you can now test your ladder on an even space on the ground. Make sure that the floor doesn’t have any bumps that can prove as problems for the new ladder. Check the height and check the durability of the rods and the rungs and then you are all set to go.