So you got an aluminum door and want to give it a brand new look. You can hire a professional to do so but wait why to waste your time when you are free this weekend why not do that yourself and save some money and also you will have a good past time for your weekend. This article will provide you with all the relevant help that is needed for you to easily paint the aluminum door yourself. Aluminum is a metal so its painting is a bit different from that of the normal wooden doors.
First of all unhinge the door and then all the removable parts if any from it. This will make the work of painting easier and place the door on a flat surface. Make sure to keep all the bolts and nuts in a place where you can easily find them while you are going to assemble the door.
- Before placing the door on a flat surface make sure that the surface is covered with a cloth or a paper so that during paint you may not damage the floor. Also remember that aluminum is a metal so it is good to paint it in a shaded place as if the door is kept under sunlight the door may get heated quickly and when you paint the paint will chip off or get destroyed due to excess temperature. So better to do the paint job indoors or in a shaded place.
- You may also need to cover the other parts on the door like the door handles, the side bits, etc., and that you don’t want to paint with a new color instead. So you may use paper or cloth to cover up them properly.
- After covering the door surfaces you must do a bit of cleaning of the door as there may be some uneven surfaces, rust or dust particles entangled to it. So you must use detergent solution or may use special aluminum cleaning solutions. After cleaning wipe the doors and let them dry.
- Next step is to remove any dents or damages if any to the door as these may interfere in the work of painting. So u may use a hammer or other tools to get the dents and damages fixed so that the painting is done properly.
- Before start to paint you must use a coat of primer over the doors as it is a metal surface and applying a coat of primer will add extra life and durability to the door and will also help the paint to bond to the doors uniformly and more efficiently.
- Now select a suitable paint for your door panels depending upon your choice. For painting you may use brush, rollers or sprayers whatever is available if the door is big or that of the garage then using a spray would be the best option. Paint the door panel one side at a time and let them dry.
- After both the sides and the parts you want to paint are done completely then let them dry and after that attach the doors to their respective positions and make sure that the fitting is done correctly and tightly.
Incoming search terms:
- paint exterior door luminium