You would have listened some person saying like that he wants to renovate his old furniture in a miraculous way, he is least concerned with the style of furniture he is possessing but want to convert it to new one with a magic stick. He doesn’t want to indulge in sanding, priming and all sorts of time consuming as well costly activities. If then someone advises him for chalk paint. He stays a while and quickly takes a decision to initiate the project himself as it would remain economical and stylish for him.
Inclination towards Chalk Paint:
If you are also thinking in the same way but you do not know much about chalk paint make it clear once for all and also don’t get confused, it is not the chalk with which the teachers write on black board for teaching to their students, it is something unique that can create a variety of decoration styles for painting home and furniture. Once you start a painting project it can yield astonishing results with a small hard work provided you understand some basic principles. If you use it wisely the old furniture will provide miraculous look and the guests who visit your house will go on praising for your artistic attitude.
When you are inclined to it you will be will be concerned and curious to know some of its details:
What is Chalk Paint?
Annie Sloan is regarded as the world ranking seasoned and talented expert of paint. She wrote more than 20 books conforming to international standard about paint, its different shades and styles. She had great skills of decorative paintings and tried to inculcate the sense of creativity in paint applications amongst the peoples. She launched a new product with branded name as chalk paint in the year 1990. Her product revolutionized in the paint industry and resultantly other paint firms also followed her with similar names. Annie Sloan is considered as inventor and pioneer of this paint, she is one of the best female designers of UK. She is the author of the book titled as “The complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques” which is recognized as a prestigious book in the paint industry. She developed her paint by opening up a shop at Oxford and decorated it with chalk paint. She provides services for interior designs and arranges courses.
No Sanding and No Priming:
You can apply chalk paint on your furniture and different other items to produce a chalky look and to make the exteriors reflecting as aged ones. It is very simple and easy, just following a few tips you can make a classic and antique appearance of your home and furniture. You can paint anything, it is kitchen cabinet or metal, wood or wall, fabric chair or so on, all items are conveniently painted without sanding or priming requirements, however proper cleaning before painting is necessary for better end results
Variety of Colors:
Chalk paint is available in a variety of colors. You can pick the color of your choice. You can chose matching or contrasting colors for your furniture and walls. You may decorate your rooms with different colors; that color scheme which gives you the maximum satisfaction would become your ultimate selection with which you feel comfortable.
When you paint it first you may make mistakes as painting furniture demands some essential skills of artistic nature but making errors and practicing for quite some time you get the necessary skill but why to wait, learn from mistakes of other people. Here are some tips with painting methods which may make your task easy.
- Spacious Place for Chalk Painting: Before starting paint work, select some spacious space. When you drag furniture and open the drawers you should be vigilant enough to set up paint shop where the furniture items can be easily accommodated and painted conveniently without creating disturbances for the family members. Keep in mind that cooking, sleeping and other routine in-house activities might not get adversely affected.
- Quality of Brushes: Quality of brushes is of pivotal importance especially if you are not confined to only a single item. If the project is large then it is recommended that you choose good quality brushes as sub-standard or low quality brushes will not yield good results. Larger flat brushes more than 2 inches will work smoothly.
- Disassembling: Unscrew all the hooks, knobs, hinges and remove the drawers if any before starting the painting work. Anything found broken should be repaired first.
- Start Painting: To start the job, turn upside down of the pot, shake it well, open it and start stirring for making the contents homogeneous but if it seems thick then mix some water into it and stir additionally. The chalk paint possesses strong adhesive properties and it firmly sticks to the coated surface. Normally one coat of paint is considered sufficient. It has been estimated that one liter of chalk paint adequately covers about 10 square meter of furniture.
- Apply Clear Wax: To enhance durability, produce a shiny look and intensifying the color, the application of soft wax is deemed as essential. Wax gives magnificent result. Apply very thin layer of wax with some good brush. The rags can be used but they don’t give good results as compared with brushes and there is wastage of wax also. Apply wax in a circular movement on the furniture and it will cover a large areas.
- Applying Dark Wax: Afterwards dark wax is applied, one may feel that beautifully painted furniture is getting shabby and dark, a better remedy to overcome this situation is to add a small quantity of clear wax into the dark wax and using some damp cloth to wipe off that portions which don’t appear nice to you. This will lessen the bad impact and will give a soft finish.
Buffing for Better Shine:
Buffing is considered as the last step, after which the painting process goes to its logical end. Wax usually gets dry after 24 hours. You should wait till that time for achieving the desired level of satisfaction. If you hastily start buffing, the quality of paint would not be so attractive. You may use your old clothes for buffing but it is a matter of experience that these clothes will not give better finishing results as compared with some good brush.
Incoming search terms:
- https://paintingtheme com/how-to-paint-with-chalk-paint-flawlessly/