When your parents have told you to be careful when you were a little kid, they mean it to stay with you until you grow up. This means that even though you are an adult now you should still exercise caution especially when it comes to using things like ladders. There have been an alarming number of reports regarding ladder accidents each year and if you follow the right advice you can steer clear away from this dreaded fate.
Be Well Aware Of Dangers With Ladders
Image source: www.riskmanagement365.com
One of the most common ladders that everyone has is the stepladder. They are available in various sizes and three of the most used sizes are the 4, 6 and the 8 feet ones. What’s important is you keep some of these in mind:
- Make sure that the stepladder is safe and that the two hinged metal bracers or the spreaders are straight and have been locked down. This enables you to have a steadier grip when climbing the ladder.
- Given the temptation of standing on top of the ladder, you shouldn’t do it by any means. Even professionals would never recommend you to step on the very top of the ladders because of possible imbalance.
- When on the ladder, balance yourself as well, your hips should be in the two vertical rails that don’t reach too far from any side or you may risk falling off with the ladder.
- Also, make sure that you put the stepladder on a straight ground. The uneven ground may cause some unbalance on the ground may lead to some type of accident which is why the ladder should not wobble when you step on it.
- When you need to move the ladder someplace else, make sure that there is nothing on top of it. Move all your tools off of the ladder or they might fall on your head when you attempt to move the ladder carelessly.
- Use the front side of the ladder when climbing up. Don’t try to sue the back side since it may cause unwanted accidents. Whenever the ladder is small, don’t allow another person on it. There are special adders that can allow two persons; however, the regular ones don’t which is why you shouldn’t try to do it.
- There are people who tend to place the stepladder against the wall and climb on it; however this has a high risk of falling so you should try it as well since it can slide easily under your weight.
- One of the most important things that you should remember is that you shouldn’t leave stepladders unattended. Even though you’re tired from working and you feel like the ladder will be fine when left there you should think otherwise. It’s important that you clean after yourself and stow it away to a safe place.
Pros You Get In Using Ladders Correctly
Image source: www.riskmanagement365.com
There really is nothing to it when you want to follow the rules and stay safe from the risks you are taking with not being careful with the ladders. Avoiding hospitalization and fractures are advantages enough to be more careful in handling ladders.
Image source: www.slideshare.net
Make Sure You Use The Ladders Safely With These Steps:
- Extension ladders are also another type that you need to use carefully since it can reach high up and topple easily.
- Carefully lay the ladder on the ground and place it against the wall. Carefully raise the top part to stretch it upright with the hand. When it is vertical enough get hold of the rung with at least about thigh high height and lift the ladder slowly. You should then carefully pace the base away from the wall.
- When the ladder is secured, grab the rope and continue to raise the fly of the ladder. Raise it to the height that you want and make sure that the rung and hooks are secured with the ladder’s rung. You can then tie off the end of the rope towards a lower rung.
- Make sure that you set the ladder properly; you can use 1:4 ratios to make it easier to determine the measurement. You can divide the ladder height by four and move the base from the wall.
- To make sure that the ladder is in place, you can try and dig some dirt below it to make it stay in place. Putting rocks or blocks under the ladder isn’t enough and can be too risky.
- Also, don’t attempt to use the ladder on wet floor or on the snowy ground because there could be a chance that it could slip and this may cause you an accident.
- Don’t attempt to stand too high on the ladder nor set it up near electrical wires. Professionals can do the wiring job for you and it is never worth the risk of electrocuting yourself with the wrong use of the ladder.
- Always grab the rungs and not the rails to avoid any trouble.
- Just like any other ladder, don’t put any tools on it. You can wear a tool belt to help you carry your tools. This can also help free your hands of anything when climbing up or down the ladder.
- When you need to climb onto places like the roof don’t step far from the fourth step from the top of the ladder. Always leave at least three steps on top so as you are not standing at the very top. Carefully step around the ladder when getting off and grab the top of the rails for safety.
Stay Safe Always
No matter what you need to do, if it looks very risky or dangerous, always get the professionals to do it. Or you can get someone to hold the ladder for you. Don’t try to climb the ladder is you feel like it is about to break or is very unstable. These are just small details that you should start noticing before you do any further work using the ladder.
Incoming search terms:
- how to use a type ladder
- how to use ladders safely
- ladder top step danger