When we are in need of ladders, there are many kinds that we can choose. If you think about it, this is a good thing but if you do not know when and where you should use a specific ladder, then there might be a problem. Now, let us solve this problem by differentiating two of the classification of ladders, the rope ladder and step ladder.
Meet the Rope Ladder
Let us start with the rope ladder. A rope ladder is a ladder whose main material is rope. The steps are made from hard materials, like wood or metal and these steps are bound by two stands of strong rope until it forms a ladder.
Image source: www.amsterdammodern.com
You may think that this ladder is not safe, but this is actually safe if the proper material is used. You may want to know how this is made to assure you that this will not put you in danger if you use them.
In making this ladder, all you need is two equal strands of strong ropes and pieces of tough wood or metal. The first thing that you need to do is to find a fixed point where you should tie the ends of the two strands of ropes. After doing so, attach each metal or wood posts to the strands of ropes by tying the ropes the same way you tied the ends to the fixed point.
Since we now know how a rope ladder is made, it is as if we know about it more and we can use it when we need a ladder. But when are we supposed to use it and when not?
When to Use a Rope Ladder
A rope ladder is usually used in:
- Rescuing someone or something in the field.
- Reaching a high pioneering project.
- Used as a ladder in treehouses. This looks good and perfect in treehouses.
When not to Use a Rope Ladder
It is discouraged to use rope ladders in these situations:
- When you are climbing a really high place. If the rope used is not too strong, it may not be able to hold you when you are at a higher position and the rope may break.
- When you need the ladder for an emergency. When you need a ladder instantly, it is not practical to use this because you will need to find a fixed point to ties the two ends of the ladder.
- When reaching the ceiling. You will need a more stable ladder than a rope ladder.
Strengths of Rope Ladder
Here are some of the strengths of this ladder:
- It is flexible. When you need to climb a place with an irregular side, this is the best ladder to use.
- This ladder is easy to make. So when you suddenly need a ladder but you do not have any at the moment, you can just build one.
- You can choose the length of the ladder. Since this ladder can be done by yourself, you can make the length of the ladder depending on how long you need it.
Meet the Step Ladder
Now that we know what a rope ladder is, let us now move on to the step ladder. A step ladder is a foldable ladder that has a small step. Since it can be folded, it can stand on its own and if you stretch it out you would need to lean it on a wall.
Image source: www.cleaningshop.com.au
Most people think of this or use this when they are in need of ladders. This seems to be the common ladder that comes to mind when you think of a ladder. Compared to the rope ladder, this one is stable and it is not as flexible or as free.
When to Use a Step Ladder
You can use a step ladder in almost every occasion that you need a ladder. Here are some of them:
- When you are fixing something in your roof. You will just stretch this and lean it on the wall and you can now reach for your roof. However, if your roof is not too high, you can use the ladder while it’s folded.
- When you are decorating a tall Christmas tree. If you cannot reach a part of the tree, this ladder can help you.
- When cleaning the ceiling or fixing them.
When not to Use a Step Ladder
You can use a step ladder almost anywhere. However, there are times that it is not practical or impossible to use a step ladder. Here are some of those moments:
- When the place you are trying to reach is too high and the wall is not flat. It would be dangerous to lean the ladder on that wall.
- If you need a ladder to your tree house, this ladder is not advisable, unless the tree is not high enough. But it would really not be advisable because you cannot make it a permanent ladder for your tree house.
- Never use this ladder when there is no one who can support the ladder for you, especially if you are leaning the ladder on the wall.
Comparing a Rope Ladder and Step Ladder
As you can see, aside from both being a ladder, a rope ladder and a step ladder are completely different from each other, from their materials to their functions. There are times when you need a rope ladder and there are times when you need is the step ladder.
The good thing about the rope ladder and step ladder being different is that you can use the other for the shortcomings of the other. The weakness of the rope ladder is that it is too flexible and not stable, while the weakness of the step ladder is that it is not flexible, vice versa. Therefore, if you have both ladders, you can do plenty of things because the other one can fill what is lacking on the other.
What you should remember is that, whatever ladder you use, you should always be careful.
Incoming search terms:
- rope ladder